What is Content Marketing?
According to the Content Marketing Institute ,”Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
In other words, content marketing is the stuff you post on your website (and then share on social media) that is meant to provide valuable information to your very specific ideal client. The goal is to get them to share it with all of their friends, and to remember you when they need your services.
This could be educational blog posts, video blogs, podcasts and so on. The point is, content marketing isn’t about selling yourself directly. It’s a more indirect approach, which millennials respond to better. You put yourself in the position to be an expert and some of your clients appreciate it so much that they tell all their friends about it. And then some of those people will actually hire you.
They key to being successful is to REALLY know your ideal client and what they need. Then providing it in a valuable, easy to share, way. Their needs may not even be photography related. If you’re a horse photographer, you might post about DIY horse treats, or some of the best riding trails in your town. Soon you’ll begin showing up in their search engine results and they’ll be like “Hey, I really want to do a photo session with my horse, I should message this horse photographer!” And it’s as simple as that.
Here Are 8 Reasons Why You Should Start Writing Content Marketing Posts Today
- BETTER SEO RANKINGS | Search engines reward websites that consistently produce quality content. This means higher search engine ranking, which enables prospective clients to find you easier.
- BECOME AN EXPERT | Most photographers DO NOT write content marketing pieces, so by doing so you’re getting ahead of the market. Stand out as the expert.
- EARN TRUST | The more times a potential client sees your name and associates it with expert advice, the more they trust you. The more they trust you, the more likely they are to hire you.
- FREE MARKETING | When you provide relevant, educational material to your ideal client, they share your content. That’s FREE marketing to their friends, who are likely also your ideal client.
- BUILD YOUR BRAND NAME | Content Marketing builds your brand name, and cements who you are and what you do. Every piece should be done in your brand voice, to your ideal client, providing value and showing off how awesome XYZ Photography really is at what they do.
- CREATE A BETTER CLIENT EXPERIENCE | Educational content marketing provide clients with a better overall experience. Whether you provide information on what to wear to a session, or how to protect their album after delivery, you are giving them a five star experience and they’ll remember that.
- ATTRACT YOUR IDEAL CLIENT | When you write content marketing pieces directed at your ideal client, and use up to date SEO techniques, your ideal clients will be more likely to find you. Stop wasting time sorting through the masses, content marketing lets you attract your ideal client every single time.
- BUILD QUALITY BACK LINKS | When you write really high quality content marketing pieces, big name websites and blogs will quote you and link back to you. These high quality back links will bring in potential clients and improve your site authority, therefor improving your SEO rankings.
Have an idea for an awesome content marketing piece but not really up for the task? The Photographer’s Blogger can help with that! Get a FREE quote by clicking here!